Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Roma

I have been slacking lately. Actually, on the contrary, I have not been sitting at a computer lately. We had some big travel days. From Athens to Napoli via Patra and Bari. I am quite upset by the residual vertigo I appear to be facing after the 3 ferry rides I have been on since the trip began. I am not playing. I will be standing, walking, even sitting and get a touch of the dizzies. It is upsetting to continue to experience this days after I have been on the water. I am a little concerned that the condition is here to stay, but I am sure it will pass. It better.

Well, we enjoyed a day or so on Santorini. It was beautiful and very dry. I highly recommended oversize sunglasses or other protective eye wear for any trip to Santorini. We rented an ATV and went to Oia from Perissa. Given the lack of power of our mode of transportation, it took quite some time. All the dirt and grime from the entire island seemed to find its way to my face, my eyes in particular. Oh, and my helmet, while incredibly oversized, did not have an actual visor. Nice.

After that we stayed in Athens for the night and headed to Patra to get a ferry to Bari and then a train to Napoli (Naples). For anyone who might be remotely jealous and wish they were with me on this trip, you should be glad you are not if for only being spared being around my nasty self after 2 to 3 days without a shower. I reached an all time low. It was a record. A filthy record.

We hit up Pompei yesterday. It was a lot larger than I had anticipated. We also explored some potentially unchartered territory within Pompei right before it started to pour. And I mean pour. We got pretty drenched. Then it ended up being a hot, humid day later. We wandered around the ancient city for hours. Seriously, there is a lot in there. I felt so fooled.

After getting a Margherita pizza in Napoli, we took a train up and got situated into our hostel in Roma. We were fortunate enough to find another hosteler at our bus stop who helped guide us there in exchange for some of our massive stash of Toblerone we got on the ferry.

Today we got an earlyish start and headed to the Vatican to see the Sistine Chapel, followed by some exploring of the city. We went into the Colloseum, which I had not planned on originally but figured we might as well since we are here. We could not get the youth discount because we are Americans. Boo. Oh well. We also barely got to take pictures at the Mouth of Truth (think Roman Holiday). It has been quite fast paced which works for us both. Except, poor Shelley got sick, but she is a trooper. She keeps on trucking. And putting up with any impatience on my part. Good kid, that one is. Great travel buddy. I am very blessed.

She even had to watch me devour about 3 cones of gelato before she felt safe enough to join in on the gelato tour. I seriously had about 10 scoops of gelato today. Do not worry...they are not that big scoops. They are absolutely delicious, though. I just might get another few today. Sadly, I am not joking.

2 comments:

Milli said...

Haha! "a touch of the dizzies." :D I was cracking up. However, poor you. On the other hand, YAY for you!

Unknown said...

Hey Noe! I have to admit that, even with your lack of "showers", I am truly jealous of your adventure. Anyway, I wish you good luck and more fun in your trip ... and keep writing because I'm reading. :)